Wednesday, February 22, 2012

I Don't Wanna Walk with a Crutch So Much

Without delving too much into that which you already know, based on the epidemic of Lent-related status updates, I'm gonna go 'head and remind you that today is Ash Wednesday.


This day always has a way of deflating me. Up until Ash Wednesday arrives, people are still feeling that residual winter cheerfulness. The Christmas-y good will is still hovering around, and the layer-wearing general public is scraping up every last opportunity to get together and gorge themselves ('cuz, baby, y'now...it's cold outside).
But once this day comes along, it signals a shift. People are made to look at their lives through a lens of remorse and gentle sadness. Most of us probably turn this day into a second chance at New Year Resolutions. The happy holidays are over. A new season has begun.

This is all to say that I think it's a good thing. As much as we would all love to live our lives under a blanket of snow, skating along on frozen ponds without a consideration for the less-sweet things in life, we cannot. Snow melts, ice cracks, and that which we've tried to stifle will always come back up like dandelions in a garden. Pushing it down hasn't stopped it from returning, just as not confronting our worries and failures hasn't made us stronger Christians.

I take strength from this day. As much of a downer it can be- as much as it forces me to look at my problems like I look at my Facebook profile- I appreciate the chance Ash Wednesday affords me to examine the less attractive side of Christian faith.

Being a Lutheran Christian, the concept of grace has been drilled into my head, heart, and soul, and before you misunderstand me, let me say that grace is greatest gift God has ever given me. Without it, I would be mud. With it, I am crystal clean. But I think we as a group sometimes use grace as a Get-Out-of-Jail-Free card. If we do something wrong, too often do we saunter up to the tap, take a huge, guiltless swig, and continue on, unchanged.
This is why I like the somberness of Ash Wednesday. It reminds us that we are a faulty people. A people who too often just don't get it. Grace is a gift, sure, but it is not a crutch.

There's a song that I've long loved...it's a collaboration between two of my favorite musical entities: Relient K and Owl City. The song is called "Terminals" and is only available on Amazon as an exclusive track on RK's Forget and Not Slow Down record. Take a listen...


Ahh. That's some sweet, sweet tunage right there, huh?

This is my point. In our lives, grace is too often our crutch, our back-up. We know it's always there, like that one kid in high school who always followed the populars around and who would jump at the chance to be needed. God wants us to have grace. But he doesn't want us to use it cheaply.

Do you see yet why I said this day deflates me?

It may not be the sexiest thing in the world to say, "Even though we have grace, we still need to work to change," but that's the Christian truth. It's the give, it's the take. To use another Lutheran concept, it's the harmonious balance of Law and Gospel. Leaning too far on either one means missing out on the spiritual growth the other can provide.

Throughout these next seven weeks, I challenge you to take your Lenten practices a step further. Instead of going for a do-over of your 2012 resolutions, think about the areas in life where you lean on grace too much. Think about your sins and the price Christ paid for them. I know it sounds harsh, horrible, and deflating, but we were ashes, and to ashes we will return. And if at any time you need to be reminded, remember to "take heart, for your sins are forgiven."

If we commit to doing this, this uncomfortable self-evaluation that Lent is all about, I believe it will make the miracle of Easter so much more miraculous.

Those chocolate bunnies will have never tasted sweeter.

-Danul

2012 Resolution Watch: Finished Mockingjay and day-um was it heartbreaking. I'm currently deep inside Blue Like Jazz and loving everything about it. Got to see a screening of the movie and was very impressed. I've also been running most days with the dog. Shedding those pounds slowly but, hey, it's happening.

1 comment:

  1. I, as well, never hold on when I change terminals at ATL! Yay for things I have in common with Matt Thiessen!

    Also good blog. Great thoughts on grace. And I agree. It's a weird thing to celebrate, the fact that we're sinners and nothing without grace, but it's so freaking important that we do celebrate it, and celebrate it well.

    ReplyDelete